Friday 5 April 2013

Books I've read recently #3


If you could see me now - Cecelia Ahern - I bought this book because I wanted a nice light read and something that I could pick up and put down when I fancied. I actually really enjoyed the story and felt involved in the characters lives. The premise of the story, a woman having an imaginary friend, seems unrealistic and yet the story doesn't seem overly silly. The story leaves you feeling warm on the inside and you really do wish the best for the characters. For some reason I have never read any of Cecelia Ahern's other novels so I may have to get reading some of her other works. I'd recommend this book as an easy read that won't change your life but will keep you entertained.

High fidelity - Nick Hornby - With this book I possibly made the mistake of watching the film first. I really enjoyed the film and loved John Cusack in it as the mardy, misunderstood main character. However, although the book was well written, I found myself not caring for the characters and having to force myself to read about their lives. Whilst Rob does make some good points about misery and feeling down, he does it in a way that occasionally makes you want to shake him and tell him to get a grip. He's mostly an unlikeable character and that often makes me want to give up with a novel. I did enjoy the music references throughout, and although not getting them all, I particularly enjoyed any reference to Bruce Springsteen's music because I am a big fan (love his cameo in the film too). Probably not a book I'll read again but one that did touch on issues such as loneliness in a interesting way.

Sister- Rosamund Lupton - Generally mystery/thrillers are not a book genre that I will immediately go for. This book has been talked about for the last few years and got a lot of good reviews so I though I would give it a go. The story is fast paced, gripping and has you doubting your own judgement about the characters. The story of a loss of a sister hit me hard because I can't imagine not having my sister around and not knowing what happened to her. The characters are developed well and the plot keeps you reading and guessing right until the end. I was surprised by the ending and enjoyed the twist. I would definitely recommend reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment