Thursday 2 January 2014

Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014.

So that's it, another year over. 2013 wasn't a bad year for me, in fact I had some really lovely days during it. I managed to visit Dundee, centre parcs, Leeds a few times and Amsterdam. I got to see both Bastille and Bruce Springsteen live in great concerts. And I definitely became slightly braver in myself, going to London twice alone for work as well as starting my driving lessons. Despite all these good things happening I can't shake the feeling that the year was a bit 'meh' and that I didn't really achieve too much. This probably has something to do with the fact that it was my first full year out of education and in the world or work. The year felt a little stagnant if I'm honest. I didn't learn anything particularly new, I didn't challenge myself much and I'm still in a job that I find unrewarding. That being said I know that I'm lucky to have experienced nice things and that many people would have been grateful for the year I had.

It's with this in mind that I'm going to set myself some goals for the coming year. I've never been one for resolutions but I think that if I write something down then I may be more likely to stick to it.

Pass my driving test.
I've been having lessons for around 5 months now and still find the idea of driving pretty terrifying. I am getting better but roundabouts definitely still freak me out. Having passed my theory just last week I'm now more determined to make 2014 the year I am allowed run of the road on my own.

Travel.
Generic resolution right there but I do feel alive when I'm experiencing new places. I'd like to possibly go abroad as well as exploring the UK a little more. Preferably with good friends in tow.

Do something, anything, job wise.
I'd like to say that this year I will get the job of my dreams but since I don't have a clue what that might be, I may struggle. However I am determined to apply for new jobs or take a course in something that interests me. In an ideal world I would like to be out of my current job when December rolls around again because I'm not sure I could face another Christmas in retail.

Moan less.
I've always been a moaner (see first paragraph of this post for example) but in 2014 I'd like to be more positive. Recently a family friend told me that whilst my face was smiling, my eyes were not and this really struck a chord. I want to be the person that sees good in situations rather than the one who picks out a negative. This can apply to any aspect of my life but particularly with work. If I'm not willing to make a change in my own life then I really shouldn't moan about it.

Stop comparing.
I definitely need to stop comparing my life to those of other people. I've spent my life worrying that I'm not doing enough or am not as likeable enough as other people. This coming year I'd like to leave that mentality behind and focus on making my own decisions for me. Who cares if some of my friends have good jobs, husbands, babies or more fun on a weekend? I think by focusing on my own life a little more I should be happier.

I think those are the main ones. I'm not going to pretend that I'm going to eat any healthier, I started the year with biscuits in bed for breakfast. I'd like to read more and spend a little time away from the internet every so often. Should probably also drink more water because that's good for your skin and shiz. Wow this post ended up being super long. I've enjoyed reading other people's plans for 2014 so if you've written a similar post then link me up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment